Sunday, April 22, 2012

Vestibular System

Ok before I start the blog post I thought I should probably explain the title. Basically it's just a very bad joke (if it were a good one I probably wouldn't feel the need to explain it) about the fact that I spent a lot of time this week trying to balance out my work and that my next rendering project was somewhat inspired by Vincent Van Gogh. Everyone knows (hopefully) about how Vincent Van Gogh cut off a portion of his ear. So the joke is that the Vestibular System is what helps people control their balance which coincidently happens to be in the inner ear...funny right? No, not really but I decided to keep the title anyways. 

This week has been busy, but what else is new? I noticed recently that the amount of work I was doing for each of my classes had started to become a little unbalanced so I spent this week trying to redistribute my time and focus to try and get everything back in balance. Which meant spending less time on rendering and more time on my production pipeline project. Basically I told myself that I couldn't spend any extra time on rendering until I get the model and UVs for my character for production pipeline done.
Considering how excited I am for my next rendering project it seemed to have worked really well because I actually managed to finish the model very quickly and efficiently this week. I don't know why but all the other times I tried to work on it just went painfully slow, which was frustrating since I knew I was much faster at modeling than I was actually going.


And thanks to the Maya Bonus Tools that you can get from the Autodesk Area, I have managed to UV more than 80% of the model in less than 4 hours. I think that must be my new record for UVing an organic object, particularly one this complex.
I just have to mirror over the boot and arm and finish up a few small pieces and I'll be done! Which means I can really start having fun with my rendering assignment.

I am very excited about this assignment because I'm going to be using it to lead into my final project for the class. I started out in fine arts, and ever since I started doing 3D I've been wanting to try and find a way to make it look like my models were painted. I've done a lot with painting on textures by hand, but obviously that's not enough to make something look like it's made out of paint.  So my hope is that with my final project I can really explore some of the possible ways that I can add thickness to the object in the way that it looks like thick globs of paint brushed on. I've been working out several different options in my head for a while and I'd really like to finally try them out to see if I can make this happen.  I have a feeling it's going to fail miserably but I really want to try it and see.

I've painted in a lot of different styles, but I always really enjoyed expressionism/impressionism and this is what I'd really like to try and mimic in 3D. For our next rendering project we're required to create an image using Global Illumination and Sun and Sky. My plan is to create an interior scene that I will then use portal lights to pull in the light from the sun and sky for the Global illumination I set up in the room.

I decided to take inspiration from some of Vincent Van Gogh's paintings of interiors, specifically the ones he did of bedrooms. Van Gogh often painted entitre rooms, but due to time constraints and the amount of work I have this quarter I decided right away that I wanted my scene to be very small and really just a portion of a room instead of the whole thing.
This painting in particular inspired me for the set up of my interior, although strangely it hardly has anything in common in terms of the furniture or set up. Believe it or not it was the green he used in this painting that caused me to suddenly visualise the set up of my scene.
So far I only have things modeled and UVed, but I plan on getting to the lighting and eventually the texturing before the end of this week. I have to finish the UVs for my character though before I can start. Hopefully I'll be able to begin work again tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. On the Van Gogh painting, I know you aren't getting direct inspiration from his painting, but I recognized a piece that did from an old CG society post, http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=879141 . Maybe that will be some inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I love how they used his painting to reverse engineer what the actual room may have looked like. Very nicely done! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete