Saturday, March 17, 2012

Spring is Here!

I apologize for the late post. I've been trying very hard to keep on my once a week posting schedule, but my schedule for Spring is so crazy that I had to immediately hit the ground running in order to keep up with my course work. On top of that I've been rather sick this past week.

I have two updates, both of which are for a scholarship I am applying to. The first is the digital painting I shared in the last post. I am having to call it on this one for now. Ideally I would love to keep working, but the scholarship deadline is coming up, not to mention I need to be focusing on school work.

I'm pretty happy with it. I'd like to add in more details and really just push it further in general, but all things considered, it is probably the best digital painting I have produced thus far. I had a lot of trouble trying to figure out the lighting for the leaves and I'm still not convinced I got it quite right, but it is much better than what I originally had.

And now for the other half of the scholarship application, a character that goes with the environment.

I was very frustrated with myself today when I opened it up and realized that at least 3 hours of work I had spent on it earlier this week was entirely gone. I had added a lot more details to the base of the harp to make it more balanced, but somehow managed to lose all of it. Unfortunately, I've run out of time and have to submit it without.  Again, ideally I'd like to fix it up more but that's just not an option right now.  I wanted to give her more of a back drop/setting but I had to chose between that or polishing the character as much as possible. And since the character is what is actually required for the scholarship, it was obvious I had to go with that

Possible scholarship aside, I'm very happy that I was able to produce both of these images because it was an incredible learning experience. I've never gotten to sit down and really focus on a digital painting before, and even though I'd like these both to be more polished I am extremely proud of how far I was able to take them  both. It was definitely an extremely worthwhile experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment