Friday, March 23, 2012

Characterization

Recently I've been doing a little research on character design for my Project Pipeline class. I need to model a character for my project, but I've been having some trouble trying to come up with an actual character. I wasn't originally going to make a whole character but my professor really wants me to do one so I'm trying to put together a plan for it. I had originally planned an entirely different project and I had that all planned out, but I'm having trouble trying to turn it around an come up with something new. I've been trying to pull together images for inspiration but so far I'm not really feeling it. I've done a few quick sketches but they all seem to be going in different directions in terms of style.


 I want to keep the outfit simple because it's the first time I'll be trying to do normal maps in mudbox and I don't want to get in over my head. I think the simpler it is the more I can really practice and get it right without having to worry about having to get a whole bunch of details done. The issue is I really just don't have an idea of who my character is so I'm having trouble being able to invest myself in developing them.
 I started making some t-pose references, but I don't really like what I have so I'm still working on coming up with something different. I have to have everything done by Wednesday, so we'll see what I end up with.

I'm also taking a rendering class this quarter and I'm almost done with my first assignment. We had to make a maximalism themed piece while focusing on 3 point lighting, so it had to have a lot of detail. I took inspiration from the various rose windows you see in gothic cathedrals. 

We can only use shades, so no color, but I think it's turning out pretty nice. I'm not crazy in love with it though. It's nice, but I don't think it's going to turn out to be a portfolio worthy piece. I try to aim to make all my projects good enough to go into my portfolio, but they can't all be winners. Our next project is going to be on procedural shaders, which I am already familiar with from my shading class last quarter. I'm pretty excited to see what I can do with it. I have an idea in mind but I'm not sure how possible it will be.



No comments:

Post a Comment